I’m on a roll with selling off items to bring in a little extra income. However, we don’t just need extra income, we need to slash our expenses as well. This is proving to be very difficult!!
My first thought was the cellphone bill. It’s one of the highest at $151 per month (+/-$3 due to taxes and fees vary each month) for 3 lines. Plus DH’s Iphone6 is no longer working and it’s out of warranty. We do not have $700 to buy a new Iphone, and AT&T no longer offers the $99 phone if you extend your contract deals. You have to buy the phones outright, or do a payment plan that adds upwards of $45/mo. to your bill. No thanks!
Our current plan is 15GB data per month, unlimited text, and calls. Based on our usage charts, between our 3 lines (mil is one of those, she pays her portion), we rarely hit 6GB of data per month. The one and only time we went over 6GB was during our road trip earlier this summer. Plus we have rollover data, so we’re up to 30GB now that we’ll likely never use.
I looked into downgrading our plan to the 10GB plan. Savings? $1.00. ONE DOLLAR!! Next one down is 6GB, savings of $14 per month. I’m not too pleased with these “savings”. Any plans lower than that we risk going over and each additional 1GB is $10/mo. If we don’t lose our rollover data, we could definitely get away with the 6GB plan, but I bet we’d lose it.
Out of frustration, we decided to check out Verizon, thinking that there would be a new customer deal. HA HA HA!!! The guy didn’t even ask us about phones, just pulled out a white board, jotted down some numbers, and said “this is what you’d pay” – $268 PER MONTH! WHAT?! That was for 3 lines, unlimited data/texts/minutes, no phones. Ridiculous!
I’m also familiar with Ting, Republic, and a handful of other discount carriers, but they are either a) not available in our area or b) must use their devices and do not have Iphones. The issue with the Iphones is related to DH’s job. They are now a requirement for management thanks to some new apps he is forced to use. Which go off all day and night with alerts. Personally I think his work should pay for the phone and services for him, but HA! That will never happen.
So cutting cellphone expenses seems to be going nowhere. There’s also…
- Internet – we have the cheapest option available in our area. $44.99 – no data cap!
- Television – we do not have cable/satellite. Only Netflix & Hulu, $16/mo. Depending on the season, we tend to put one on hiatus until new shows are out.
- Insurance – about to shop around!! Homeowners and auto.
- Medical…….we’re just screwed. No cutting expenses in that field. LOL! Thanks ACA!
- Electric/Gas – I’ve kept our A/C at 71 this summer, it seems to have saved a few bucks overall, but not a huge savings.
- Water – This is always higher in summer due to pool, averaging $50/mo.
- Food – I’m saving a TON by using Wal-Mart Grocery Pick Up service!! Averaging $85/wk for a family of 4.
I just feel like I am completely failing at getting a realistic budget going for our family. Working on a table to show our income vs expenses. A bit depressing these days!